Advertisers are constantly looking for new ways to draw attention to their products. Although the typical Banner Ads are still used heavily, they’re seemingly invisible to the seasoned web surfer. In response to this, companies now employ the very intrusive pop up ads which thrust an Ad in your face that you have no choice but to at least acknowledge. Regardless of the nature of the ad, pop ups are a nuisance, and there are now many options available for keeping them off of your computer screen all together.
To turn your Pop Up Blocker on or off:
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then do one of the following:
- To turn off Pop-up Blocker, click Turn Off Pop-up Blocker.
- To turn on Pop-up Blocker, click Turn On Pop-up Blocker.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click OptionsOn the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences…At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Edit menu and select PreferencesAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu and select Options…On the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences…At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Edit menu and select Preferences…
Google Chrome prevents pop-ups from automatically appearing and cluttering your screen. Whenever the browser blocks pop-ups for a site, the icon appears in the address bar. Click the icon to see the pop-ups that have been blocked or to manage pop-up settings for the site.
See pop-ups for a specific site
To see blocked pop-ups for a site, follow these steps:
- If pop-ups have been blocked, you’ll see the icon in the address bar. Click the icon to see a list of the blocked pop-ups.
- Click the link for the pop-up window that you’d like to see.
- To always see pop-ups for the site, select “Always show pop-ups from [site].” The site will be added to the exceptions list, which you can manage in the Content Settings dialog.
Allow all pop-ups
You can allow all pop-ups by disabling the pop-up blocker. Follow these steps:
- Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
- Select Options (Preferences on Mac and Linux; Settings on Chrome OS).
- Click the Under the Hood tab.
- Click Content settings in the “Privacy” section.
- In the “Pop-ups” section, select “Allow all sites to show pop-ups.” Customize permissions for specific websites by clicking Manage exceptions.
For more information about Pop Ups, your Browser, and You go to:
As always, Happy Browsing.